Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's Just A Pencil

Dowa District, Malawi ... Without thinking I reached in my pocket and pulled out a pen to write a note. I don't know about you but I have pens everywhere, pencils too. Three or four on my desk. One in each of three or four shirts. Several in my desk. Suzi has more of them than I do. We are awash in pens. Paper, too. It's the same. Pads of all sizes. Paper in a number of drawers.

From time to time when I look at all of the pens I have I must express a note of appreciation in prayer for all of the pens, pencils and paper. It's not that way in Malawi. Few people in the villages have pens, pencils or paper. Even in the cities the residents of this poor nation will look at you longingly when you take out a nice shiny pen to write a note. They might have one ... if they are lucky. The kids in the schools often have none. That's right. Not one pen, pencil or paper with which to write their class notes.

While you are thinking of it why don't you take a minute and go around the house and gather up about half of those pens, pencils and pads of paper and send them to me. I'll get them over to Africa where they will be like a treasure to a child in school. It won't cost you much. After all, it's just a pencil.

Send them to: Malawi Project, 3314 Van Tassel Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46240

No comments:

Post a Comment